Sound Devices PIX 220i and PIX 240i video recorders add Quicktime recording using Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD to any HDMI-or HD-SDI equipped high-definition video camera. The portable PIX 220i (HDMI-only) and its sibling the PIX 240i (HDMI and HD-SDI) record Quicktime files to CompactFlash cards or removable 2.5-inch solid-state hard drives.
Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD video formats have emerged as industry standards. These I-frame codecs offer the best in picture quality, processing efficiency, and data storage requirements. They are ideal for editing, on-the-fly color grading, and video processing. Files recorded in the field on a PIX recorder are ready for the most popular editorial workflows.
The PIX 220i and PIX 240i include a 5-inch IPS (In-Plane Switching), glossy, 800x480 pixel LCD display. This new technology yields a brighter, sharper image with improved color accuracy and excellent off-axis performance.
Additional Monitor Functions
PIX 220i and 240i provide additional tools for capture beyond simply recording. With Exposure Assist and Focus Assist features, these recorders double as multi-function monitors.
These monitor features include:
- False Color
- Zebra Stripes
- 1:1 Pixel Mapping
- Peaking Filter
Superb Audio Performance
With deep expertise in production audio and hard drive-based audio recorders, Sound Devices built the PIX recorders with the highest audio performance. The audio circuitry on the PIX 220i and PIX 240i are based on Sound Devices award-winning 7-Series Digital Audio Recorders. The low-noise (-128 dBu equivalent input noise), high-bandwidth inputs are mic/line switchable and include limiters, high-pass filters, and 48V phantom power. The audio source is menu-selected between embedded HDMI audio, embedded HD-SDI audio (PIX 240i only) or balanced audio connected to PIX.
- Premium microphone preamps, on balanced XLR, mic/line selectable with 48V phantom, limiters, high-pass
- -128 dBu input noise, 115 dB dynamic range A/D
- AES3 digital inputs 2 x 2 channels (PIX 240i)
- Two-channel, line level balanced output on 5-pin XLR
- Embedded audio on HDMI, 2 channels
- Embedded audio on HD-SDI, 8 channels (PIX 240i)
- High output, low-noise headphone amp
- HDMI input accepts(480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), v1.3
- BNC Video Inputs: 3G-SDI (levels A and B), HD-SDI, or SDI
- BNC Video Output : 3G-SDI (level A), HD-SDI, or SDI
Both the PIX 220i and PIX 240i offer powerful, hardware-based video scalers. Realtime conversion among video formats, including 1080i, 1080p, and 720p, are set with a simple menu selection. Conversion between interlaced and progressive, as well as frame rate conversion is available in realtime. For instance, some cameras set to record 24ps send 1080i 60 over HDMI or HD-SDI. PIX recorders can be set to convert the 1080i 60 stream back to 24p with no loss in quality.
- Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- 3:2 Pull Down Removal to Record 24p from 60i Signal
- Hardware enabled 10 bit
SDI Input & Output
- 4:4:4 or 4:2:2; 12, 10, or 8-bit
- Input: 3G-SDI (levels A and B), HD-SDI, or SDI
- Output: 3G-SDI (level A), HD-SDI, or SDI
- SMPTE 12M-1, 12M-2, 125M, 259M, 272M, 291M, 292, 296M, 299, 352M, 372, 424, 425
- Input: v1.4a, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, RGB or YCbCr, 10 or 8-bit, HDCP-enabled
- Output: v1.3, 4:2:2 8-bit, RGB and YCbCr
Video Input Resolutions / Rates
- 720p23.976/24/25/29.97/30 (SDI Only)
- 576i50 (PAL)
- 480i59.94 (NTSC)
Video Codecs and Files
- Apple ProRes 4444, 330 Mb/s, 12-bit
- Apple ProRes 36, 100, 145, 220 Mb/s, 8 and 10-bit
- Avid DNxHD 36, 100, 145, 220 Mb/s, 8 and 10-bit
- Quicktime wrapper (.MOV), UDF File System
PIX 220i and PIX 240i record and play back Quicktime files to either removable CompactFlash cards or removable 2.5-inch SSD (solid-state drive). Both CompactFlash and SSD media are formatted by PIX recorders as UDF volumes. UDF-formatted media are not limited to 4 GB file sizes like FAT32-formatted media. Additionally, UDF volumes are cross-platform, being directly mountable, readable, and writable in Mac OS and Windows.
The optional PIX-CADDY 2 accessory provides triple-interface connectivity for SSDs: FireWire 800, eSATAp, and USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 backward-compatible). eSATAp offers drive powering and 3 Gb/s transfer rate over a single cable. SSD drives attach to the PIX-CADDY 2 and it is easily hot-swapped.
The optional PIX-DOCK connects drives mounted in a Sound Devices PIX-CADDY 2 to computers equipped with a Thunderbolt™ port.
Large, illuminated, tactile record controls are easy to access with gloved hands.
PIX recorders are controlled by a side panel rotary control and four front-panel buttons. These simple controls give quick access to setups. The large LCD display makes navigating among available setups fast and simple. LANC can be used with a LANC controller to start and stop PIX recorders.
The side panel rotary knob makes menu navigation fast and simple. Simple controls and a straight-forward plain-language menu makes setups easy for both new and experienced users.
PIX recorders are built for field use with their durable, light weight, metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis. Its advanced thermal design keeps the unit cool in extreme environments like the nasty, blowing, sandy desert environment of Las Vegas.
PIX recorders are powered by either external DC power or two removable Sony L-type batteries. External power uses a Hirose 4-pin connection and accepts voltages from 10-18 VDC. Numerous PIX cabling options are available to power the unit from external DC. The back-side of the recorder accepts one or two Sony L-type batteries. The PIX recorder operates as its own battery charger when the unit is powered off and plugged into AC with the supplied adapter.
For cameras with HDMI I/O only, the PIX 220i is a great choice. It records to the same Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD formats as the PIX 240i. The PIX 220i is perfect for smaller-format high-definition cameras where time code workflows are not required. The PIX 220i includes the same, powerful hardware scaler as the PIX 240i.
- 4:4:4, 12bit recording
- Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD codec at multiple data rates
- Quicktime file type
- 10-bit input video resolution
- Ultra low-noise (-128 dBu) mic preamps with phantom, limiters, line input (based on 7-Series recorders)
- CompactFlash or removable 2.5-inch solid-state hard drives file storage with media spanning, UDF format for Mac OS and Windows compatibility
- High-accuracy built-in time code generator, with genlock and word clock output (PIX 240 only)
- 5-inch, matte finish, 800x480 pixel display
- Large, illuminated, tactile buttons for fast and simple menu control
- Simultaneous HDMI and HD-SDI output (PIX 240 only)
- Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- 336-core, 32-bit massively parallel processor with 1.2 TeraOps for efficient video encoding
- 10-18 VDC and dual L-series battery powering
- Metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis